The Bears signed nine undrafted rookie free agents to contracts today and gave them a shot to fight for a spot on the roster.
They picked up Johan Asiata (guard) from UNLV, Dennis Conley (guard) from Hampton, Dahna Deleston (safety) from Connecticut, Tyrell Fenroy (running back) from LA – Lafayette, Kevin Malast (linebacker) from Rutgers, Eric Peterman (wide receiver) from Northwestern, Mike Rivera (linebacker) from Kansas, Will Ta’ufo’ou (fullback) from California,Woodny Turenne (defensive back) from Louisville.
Breaking Down These Players:
1) John Asiata (YO-han AH-c-AH-ta) – G/T from UNLV, played at Yuba Junior College from 2004-2005, was redshirted in 2006 at UNLV, started twelve games at right tackle in 2007 and started twelve games at left guard in 2008. He has a shot to make the roster. Maybe because there thin at the guard position, he’ll have a shot.
2) Dennis Conley- Guard from Hampton, Conley was a tight end in high school, but moved to left guard for the Pirates, where he earned a first-team All-MEAC in 2007. He is an under the radar player, because he played for a FCS (formerly Division I-AA) school. He could make the team because of the lack of depth at the guard position.
3) Dahna Deleston- Safety from Connecticut, played linebacker in college, recording four career interceptions, but played in only five games last season. Special teams player at best.
4) Tyrell Fenroy- Running Back from LA- Lafayette is a four year starter on La.-Laf. teams that were top 20 in the country in rushing offense every year… over 1,000 yards rushing every year… one of only seven players ever to rush for 1,000 yards four straight years. At 5’8″, 191 he uses his speed to break by defenders. Could battle Garrett Wolfe for final RB spot on roster.
5) Kevin Malast- Linebacker from Rutgers is 6’2″, 205 pounds and ran a 4.58 second 40 yard dash. Could battle Marcus Freeman and Joey Larocque for last LB spot on roster.
6) Eric Peterman- Wide Receiver from Northwestern, the 6’1″ Peterman ran a 4.50 second 40 yard dash and could be in the mix for a spot on the roster, most likely contributing on special teams. Peterman had 59 receptions, 737 yards and six touchdowns last season at Northwestern. A very nice pickup.
7) Mike Rivera- Linebacker from Kansas a 6-2, 245 pounder, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds, but had a weak senior season for the Jayhawks.
8) Will Ta’ufo’ou (tau-FOE-oh)- Fullback from Cal, my favorite pickup out of all these players. Ta’ufo’ou had interest from more than half of the teams in the league, but ultimately picked the Bears because he can compete with Jason McKie for the starting job. Many say he was the best fullback in the entire draft.
9) Woodny Turenne- Defensive Back from Louisville, a 6’1″, 182 pound corner, who transferred from a junior college to Louisville in 2007, could battle Marcus Hamilton for last cornerback spot.